Quick update no internet and motorbike
October 17, 2019, at 07:10 PM (5 comments)
Title: Quick update no internet and motorbike Author: mgarcia Date: 2019-10-17 19:10 +1100 Tags: 2019, Industry, Misc, Pics, GameDev, Blog Comments: Open
Just a quick post to show some signs of life.
Not much to be honest. But I'm still working on my 3DS game.. Maths gahh! but it's like wielding magic.
On Tuesday the 8th I bought a brand new motorcycle and the following day I was riding 2,000kms along the A1 pacific highway! Crazy!
I've rode it before in 2009 and drove it in 2018, Brisbane to Melbourne... good roads, heaps of petrol stations and rest stops.
Admittedly I was in a hurry to get to a camp with my highschool friends, I skipped breakfast and lunch in the 3 days it took me to do and I lost 4kg! Not bad, I haven't ridden a motorbike in ten years!
I'll do a post on it one day.
I haven't had data on my mobile now for 2 years, I just wasn't using it, well at the end of August we decided to remove our crappy home ADSL2 internet and not sign up to the new NBN fiber network. This turned out to be a great idea. I have a good range of digital and physical books and found some very interesting things on my offline search... more on this another time.
It's like the mid 90's where the internet wasn't full of addictive feeds but instead checking in at a few places, once or twice a week, I do this mostly via RSS and email. This slowed down the internet and I can focus better and have more time for hobbies and life, etc.
But at my mother's house she has great internet and with not much to do I checked out youtube and heard of the mess Zoe Quinn had caused at the end of August and the very sad and needless passing of her ex boyfriend from 2012 with unfounded #metoo allegations recently. "GamerGate v2.0".
I have alot of thoughts on this:
White straight male, easy target, call-out culture and social outrage currency, high youth mental disorders and suicides. But nobody can see past their intersectionality group and their "systems of oppression" so he doesn't matter... Remorse, it seems, isn't virtuous.
Very very sad..
I wish I could say I'm surprised this kind of targeted harassment still takes place on twitter and Zoe gets to keep her account like nothing happened, but I'm not, it's just how the dumpster fire of a platform operates and encourages. Obviously Zoe doesn't have the will power to leave it even after driving someone to suicide!
What a horrible sword (twitter) to live and die by.
Of course if the people involved had opposite genitals (or other innate traits, IE skin colour, sexual preference, country of birth etc) it wouldn't have happened, this is the problem with the intersectionality cult, everyone's group is more important and all humanity is lost.
Take heed, if you are a straight white male (or just value your sanity), don't be so invested in any social media that you can't live without it, especially twitter! You are it's easy, low hanging prey, you're much safer on a motorcycle riding for 12 hours straight!
For more of my thoughts on twitter read this: http://mgarcia.org/Blog/2019-01-15-What-am-I-doing-on-twitter
Stay safe readers.
PS: mobile phone blog posting is a PITA
5 comments on "Quick update no internet and motorbike"
- Giray: 2019-10-20 16:06 +1100 Hey Mr.Mike, I've been wanting to ask about how a certain game on PSX was made just because I am curious. I just wonder how people make these things ahead of their time, I don't want to suck too much out of your time and just want to know about 1 particular game (Digimon World 3). I searched and searched but it seems like this is the only place that I can contact you. Is it possible that I can get an answer from you? Even if not thank you very much anyways. : )
- mgarcia: 2019-10-21 19:30 +1100 Giray Hi
I'm not familiar with that game I watched a bit of the speed run
It looks like an 3D JRPG.
How it was made is a hard question to answer, but I'll try.
Looks like it came out in 2002 so the PS2 was already 2 years old which probably means the dev's targeted the PSX because they had the tech (custom game engine) and also probably have also programmed an JRPG on PSX before which means they could pitch the concept, design and program it quicker and/or with a smaller budget.
But see the games credit list for team size.
But this is just a guess..
It could be the opposite as it looks like a big (8 hours) game!
The design and visuals of the game is easy to figure out.. Just play it (or watch it played ) and read the wiki or guides etc.
How it was developed is hard to say, maybe see if there is a scene that reveres engineers it or decompiles the assets etc
I hope this helps.... I'm limited to my mobile so I haven't researched and only really guessed the above.
Also I'm no real PSX expert the pros are on psxdev.net and assemblergames.com
- Giray: 2019-10-22 03:44 +1100 Thank you so much for the answer Mr. Mike. Your answer satisfied my curiosity very much, it seems to me like you said PS2 being out technology being there might be the key to how it was made. Unfortunately I don't know about coding/reverse engineering so I'll just make do with your answer, thank you so much!
- Levi D. Smith @GaTechGrad: 2019-10-30 14:51 +1100 Glad that you are doing well! I agree that twitter is one big cesspool, but I treat social media like a big online food fight now. Keep the website going so we will all know about your latest adventures!
- mgarcia: 2019-10-31 08:51 +1100 Hey Levi : )
Yeah I have a few ideas on blog posts, just too many things to do!
I'm back home safe and exhausted, so I might recover by doing that :D
I'll never forget what happened to your gamasutra account! :P
Comments are open.